All things EHS all the time

EHS-hub

All things EHS all the time

EHS-hub

All things EHS all the time

EHS-hub

Missouri purple star award

A glimpse into the purple star award and how it displays the magnificent people at Eureka
EHS accept acknowledgement of the purple star award
Provided by Dr. David Arledge
EHS accept acknowledgement of the purple star award Provided by Dr. David Arledge
Military flags hung in the EHS atrium

On Jan. 16, Eureka High School received the prestigious Missouri Purple Star award, being one of just a few schools in Missouri to have earned it. The Purple Star award is given to schools that are eager to help new families become sociable in the Eureka area, giving new students a chance to meet other peers and show them around the school.

Whether the family is involved in the military or not, there is always someone to help them settle in and become familiar with this community.

Since EHS is the only Rockwood school to achieve this goal so far, it is a very monumental moment. Secretary Leslie Jackson believes that this is not unlike the Wildcats, considering they are always able to show affection towards new-coming students and families.

“I feel like military families, students, and even non-military families will see this as more families that we’re hoping come into our community and our schools because we will have that symbol of being caring, loving and just being there for them,” Jackson said. “Anyone in the military and all the branches are important to all of us in my eyes, So I feel like this will hopefully bring more to our community that are in the military.”

Military supporters at EHS Veteran’s Day breakfast

Having a father who was in the military, Chloe Robinson, 11, wants to help people in the same position she was in when she moved to Eureka by building relationships with them and making them feel at home. She believes that this award is very beneficial to people who relate to her and would have appreciated the same kind gesture.

“I’ve been that student because of my dad’s job where I’m always the new person and it’s hard getting into a new community, so my life kind of makes me want to do this just because I know what it feels like,” Robinson said. “I’ve met other students whose family members are in the military and they go through the same thing that I go through, so it’s just easier to bond with them and see how it’s a struggle for us to get into a new community and new setting is hard. It’s nice having somebody who will be your friend and show you around to make school a better experience for you.”

Due to the generosity that is spread around EHS, Sophomore Principal Dr. David Arledge is thrilled that the Wildcats are being appreciated for all their hard work and dedication through this award.

“It’s an amazing feeling that we will be recognized for things that we already do for all of our kids,” Arledge said. “We will continue to focus on doing what is needed to support all students and concentrate on our military families.”

Since many new students come to EHS every year, it’s great for them to know they have people always looking out for them and ready to help with open arms. Jackson Vardeman, 11, wants to help new students in any way he can.

Missouri Purple Star Award symbol

“My grandpa was in the military and I didn’t have any experience with that,” Vardeman said. “It was cool just being able to help kids, that’s always what I’ve been wanting to do just be nice to everyone and help them feel welcome.”

In April, Rockwood Superintendent Dr. Curtis Cain and EHS Principal Dr. Corey Sink will be headed for Jefferson City to accept the award at the capitol.