All things EHS all the time

EHS-hub

All things EHS all the time

EHS-hub

All things EHS all the time

EHS-hub

Facets of Fast Fashion

Different sides of fast fashion and its environmental impact

Fast fashion is something that has continuously had a huge impact on our economy. Fast fashion is a term describing the way companies mass-produce clothing in order to keep up with current trends. This practice has allowed websites such as Shein and Temu to sell clothing items at severely discounted prices. Purchasing these items can have a huge impact on our environment, as many of these clothing items will end up in landfills.

Eureka FACS teacher Mrs. Powell believes that fast fashion is a pressing issue.

“It’s definitely one of the most detrimental issues facing our society today,” Powell said. “The fashion industry in general is already a leading contributor to pollution at all levels including greenhouse gas emissions, microplastics in our water, and climate change.”

One way that fast fashion affects consumers is through social media and advertising. Social media will market products specifically geared towards the user increasing the number of products being purchased.

“The marketing presence of social media has fueled fast fashion to an all-new level since it has taken over as the primary way consumers learn about products,” Powell said.

There are ways consumers can help slow down fast fashion and its impact on our environment.

“The greatest thing that can be done is to put the word out there to encourage consumers to support companies who are committed to using sustainable practices,” Mrs. Powell said. “There are more and more companies who use organic and recycled materials and work with fair and ethical factories. Unfortunately, many people aren’t willing to pay more for products that are produced by these companies.”

Mrs. Powell encourages students of EHS to start learning how to sew so they can thrift and repurpose items instead of buying from cheap websites that negatively impact the environment.