All things EHS all the time


All things EHS all the time


All things EHS all the time


Team effort

Forrest Nettles

As the weather heated up this week so has the Varsity Baseball Team.

The boys have been pretty consistent throughout the season but coming into the district tournament they knew they had their work cut out for them.

In the first game of the district tournament the team led by a strong performance from Michael Lydon-Lorson, pitcher, and a strong offensive outing, the Cats cruised past Northwest in the first round, 9-0.

The next matchup for the Wildcats was slated to be a little more difficult as they took on Parkway South, a team they had split the season series, 1-1.

Right off the bat the team started to pile up the runs. After a two hits to open the game, Sean Murley, Shortstop, hit a line drive straight up the middle to score two runs.

Brennen Lummus, pitcher, started off the game on the mound and threw four solid innings only allowing two runs.

In the top of the fifth the offense again came alive as Adam Schnurbush, right field, and Michael Allman, first base, each drove in one run to give the Cats a 4-2 lead.

Austin Tinsley then came into the game on the hill and threw three innings giving up only two runs.

The boys brought in two more runs in the top of the sixth inning to gain a four-run lead. From there the Cats sailed to the win, defeating Parkway South, 8-4.

The team was all smiles as they boarded the bus after Monday night’s game but knew that the games were only going to get harder as they prepared to face Marquette.

As the district championship game began, the Wildcats hitting first, scored three runs on a series of errors to start the first inning. Then again in the second inning the boys piled on two more runs to earn a solid cushion for the rest of the game, 5-0.

Left-handed pitcher Blake Clynes took the ball on the mound for the championship game and had one of his best outings of the season, throwing five innings and only allowing one run for the Mustangs.

The game appeared to be out of Marquette’s reach, until they drove in one run off Tinsley and gained a little bit of hope.

As the Cats took the field in the bottom of the seventh inning, only three outs from victory, the crowd was on its feet, cheers filling the air. But the Mustangs weren’t quite ready to go home.

After a rocky start to the inning by Tinsley, allowing one run and recording a single out, the coaches brought in Jarred Boyer, closer, to finish off the game.

Tensions continued to rise after Boyer walked in a run, making the score 6-3. Then a hard hit grounder up the middle plated another run.

Boyer then got the hitter to ground the ball to Nick Hoeflinger, second base, that almost ended the game with a double play, with the runner barely safe at first, plating another run for Marquette.

Everyone in attendance, on their feet, appeared to collectively hold their breath as Boyer faced the last batter of the night with the tying run on third and winning run on first, the batter popped up to Jeff Jinkerson, third base, to end the game and start the celebration.

Everyone in the dugout and on the field stormed the mound and a massive dog pile ensued. Smiling from ear to ear, members of the team hoisted the district plaque and hugged each other in excitement.

The team boarded the bus at Ballwin Athletic Association, heading home and looking ahead to that next big game of sectionals at EHS, Tuesday, May 21.


Leave a Comment
More to Discover

Comments (0)

All EHS-hub Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *