2017 senior column: We are wildcats: Nick Weaver

Kate Laubacker

Awkward and looking off into the distance, I chose to model my last featured image off the movie “Step Brothers.”

As I sit at my desk for the last time to write one final piece for the EHS-hub, my mind is content.

I’ve done everything that I’ve set out to do. After taking over EHS-hub Broadcast News at the end of my sophomore year, I put a sign on the wall next to the door of room 704 stating “EHS-hub Goal: Win Best-in-show.”

This year we accomplished that goal–along with four superior awards, two Excellent awards and two Honorable Mentions from journalismSTL. In addition, I was a Missouri Journalism Education Association Video story of the year finalist and on their honor roll.

Under the guidance and mentorship of Elisha Strecker, I grew from a young, inexperienced filmmaker into a capable, dynamic, multimedia journalist.

While there are countless stories I’d love to tell about my time as a student journalist, I’d like to spend this time encouraging everyone to do two things.

First off, educate yourselves.

Ignorance is the enemy of freedom and progress. Without knowledge of current issues and the world around us, it’s impossible to hold our governing bodies accountable.

Our goal as the press is to “seek the truth and report it.” Fake news and alternative facts circulate diminishing the extensive work of investigative reporting. It’s our responsibility as consumers of news to discern credible sources from unreliable ones, to discern the truth from the lies.

Second off, get involved.

If you’re a high schooler reading this, it’s not too late to talk to your guidance counselor and change your schedule. By joining any of the three journalism staffs at EHS or at any high school in the U.S., you gain a much greater understanding of what goes into in-depth comprehensive reporting and how a democracy works.

Not only have I learned about writing, interviewing and filming, but I was exposed to tools and opportunities that have helped foster my inner leader.

Through working with a staff of nine over the years, I had to effectively manage my time between editing their projects and working on videos of my own. I learned to work with people of different backgrounds and handle situations and circumstances as they were thrown at me.

Three years ago, I signed up for Video Production by accident. I never intending on joining student publications. All I wanted was to work with cameras and edit videos. Walking into the Hub room for the first time, I would’ve never pictured the person I am today.

Today, I am going into the world with a purpose: to make a difference in any way that I can. Whether that’s through politics, business or journalism, I intend on finding a career that allows me to make the world a better place.

It’s been the honor of my life serving as senior class president, EBN editor-in-chief, Fellowship of Christian Athletes leader, National Honor Society publicist and Renaissance executive.

I officially retire those titles in exchange for lessons and morals that I carry with me as I head into the next chapter of my life.

EHS-hub, thank you for teaching me concepts that are impossible to gain from SMARTboards, notes and quizzes.

EHS community, thank you for allowing me to learn, grow, serve and be a part of something bigger than myself.

This has been Nick Weaver from the desk signing off.