All things EHS all the time

EHS-hub

All things EHS all the time

EHS-hub

All things EHS all the time

EHS-hub

Day in the life

A brief glimpse into the daily agenda of our principal

In the world of schools, a principal’s day is a hurricane of tasks. From morning meetings to afternoon assemblies, they make sure everything runs smoothly. From spilled milk in the cafeteria to overlapping meetings during parent-teacher conferences, Head Principal Dr. Corey Sink stays steady, turning chaos into a productive and enjoyable learning environment.

As Sink starts his day at school, his first task sets the tone for what follows.

This simple routine shapes the atmosphere, impacting learning and success for students.

“As a school principal, my first task every morning is to greet everyone on campus: students, staff, and parents” Sink said. “This sets a positive tone for the day, creating a friendly and supportive environment. By connecting with everyone early on, I can understand how the school community feels and address any problems right away. These interactions also help me build relationships, which are crucial for leading effectively.”

Each day in school, administration brings its mix of tough moments and fulfilling triumphs. Sink handles everything from paperwork to creating a happy school atmosphere with skill and care.

“One specific interaction that exemplifies the challenges and rewards of being a school principal is participating in problem-solving meetings designed to address the needs of students who may be struggling for various reasons,” Sink said. “These meetings often involve a multidisciplinary team, including teachers, counselors, parents, and sometimes outside specialists. The challenges lie in navigating complex
issues, such as academic difficulties, behavioral concerns, or social-emotional needs while ensuring that all voices are heard and respected. However, the rewards are immense when the team collaboratively identifies interventions and supports tailored to the individual student’s needs, leading to positive outcomes and growth.”

In the busy world of being a principal, Sink knows how to handle paperwork and also spend time with students and staff. He decides what’s most important and plans his time carefully so he can do both things well. This helps make sure everything runs smoothly at school.

“Prioritizing and managing time as a school principal requires balancing administrative duties with direct involvement with students and staff,” Sink said. “I employ strategies such as setting clear goals, delegating tasks, and utilizing time-management techniques like prioritization matrices or scheduling software.”

Principal Sink creates a positive and inclusive school culture by using different strategies. He wants everyone to feel welcome and valued. For example, a successful initiative is the Equity Culture Field Trip where students and staff visit several locations around the St. Louis area to learn and share aspects of difficult cultures and experiences through presentations, performances, and food tastings. This initiative “Pro-
motes understanding, appreciation, and respect for diversity within our school community,” Sink said.

Sink works hard to make sure everyone feels included. The ‘Equity Culture field trip’ is just one example of how we learn about different cultures and respect each other. These efforts make our school a welcoming and friendly place for everyone. At the end of the day, Sink reflects on how things went and plans for the future to make our school even better. By considering what worked well and what could be improved, he ensures that our school environment continues to grow and thrive.

“As the day concludes, I engage planning processes to ensure continuity and improvement in the overall school environment,” Sink said. “I plan for the next day by prioritizing tasks and anticipating potential challenges. Additionally, I seek feedback from staff, students, and parents to inform decision-making and continuously improve our practices and programs.”