Tough tussle


Lauren Dell

Kyle Dickhaus (182 lbs) fights to take down his opponent from Northwest, Jan. 28.

The Varsity Wrestling Team took on the Northwest Lions at EHS, Jan. 28.

The Wildcats fell to the Lions, 29-45 but gave a great effort and dominated throughout the night.

The night got off to a great start with Clayton Wegener (152 lbs) winning his match in the first round by a tech fall (a tech fall occurs when the wrestler is up by 15 points, then five points are added to the team score).

“Getting the pin would have probably been better,” Wegener said. “But I got the tech so it worked out fine.”

Following Wegener, Zach Hancock (160 lbs) won his match, giving the Wildcats an 8-0 lead over the Lions.

Ryan Fowle (170 lbs) continued the streak for the Wildcats, winning his match by pin.

One of only three freshman wrestlers on the varsity squad, Kyle Dickhaus (182 lbs) made an impression, taking the mats with a 14-point lead filling in for Connor McDonald (182 lbs).

After defeating his opponent 7-0, Dickhaus furthered the Wildcats lead to 17-0.

Coming off an injury to his knee, Daniel Shelton (195 lbs) was back on the mats. Unfortunately, his match didn’t end in his favor, and he gave the Wildcats the first loss of the night leaving the Wildcats ahead by nine, 17-6.

Corey Bach (220 lbs) made up for the loss as he pinned his opponent in the first period adding to the Wildcats team score, extending the EHS lead, 23-6.

After another loss from William Walker (heavyweight), the Wildcats’ lead was trimmed by six, 23-12.

Lightweights Andy Mocker (109 lbs) and Andy Schnurbush (116 lbs) were both pinned back-to-back, giving the Lions the lead, 23-24.

With the Wildcats down, 29-45, Colin Bristle (145 lbs) needed to score quite a few points to bring his team back.

Bristle was off to a great start, quickly taking a lead over his opponent, but in the final round his opponent scored a take-down and in the third period tied the match, 7-7.

As the final 10 seconds counted down on the clock, Bristle’s opponent shot a double-leg, hoisting him into the air for a split-second, and returning him to the mat with great force.

Bristle landed on the mat with both his and his opponent’s weight on his arm which was fully extended, causing his arm to bend awkwardly and break.

As Bristle laid on the mats in pain with his arm limp and bending at a near 90-degree angle, trainers and coaches rushed to his aid.

“Colin fought really hard tonight, and you know injuries happen in sports,” Fowle, said. “Overall, we gave our best effort, but it really sucks that the night had to end this way.”

The night came to an abrupt end as the stands cleared out, parents, teammates, coaches and fans gathered on the gym floor, watching as the medical crew loaded Bristle onto the stretcher and wheeled him out to the ambulance.

Bristle dislocated and fractured his elbow.

“We had a pretty solid performance,” Wegener, said. “We had a couple young guys who don’t really know what they’re doing step up and give it their best, and we did alright.”

Despite the loss and Bristle’s injury the Wildcats had a good performance overall and look ahead to this weekend where they will wrestle in the Francis Howell Invitational at Francis Howell High school, Jan. 30 and Jan. 31.