District champs


Craig White

The Wildcats celebrate after winning the district championship game, Nov.6.

The Varsity Soccer Team took on the Northwest Lions in the Class 3 District 6 championship game, Nov. 6.

The Wildcats struck first with 13:42 left in the first half when Kyle Gardner, forward, shot the ball off the post, which then ricocheted off of the Northwest goalie and into the net to put the Wildcats up, 1-0.

“We were pumped after that,” Justin Armfield, forward, said. “It was like we were on cloud nine.”

The Wildcats carried that lead until halftime.

“They felt relieved to be ahead,” Mr. Gary Schneider, head coach, said. “Which sort of worried us because we had to get the team back under control.”

Ten minutes into the second half, Northwest scored their first goal of the game on a header just out of the reach of Sam Peterson, goalie, to tie the game at one a piece.

Northwest added to their lead with another goal, this time on a free kick in the top corner to put the Lions up, 2-1.

“My heart just dropped,” Peterson said. “We all came together after that goal though.”

After many close misses EHS took advantage on Gardner’s second goal to the tie the game 2-2 with 5:18 remaining.

“Once Kyle [Gardner] put the ball in, it just reignited us,” Armfield said.

Five scoreless minutes later regulation time expired and sent the game into overtime.

The Wildcats couldn’t capitalize on chances in the first overtime, which sent the game to double overtime. The second overtime also remained scoreless which sent the game into penalty kicks.

“It was stressful, but it wasn’t at the same time,” Coach Schneider said. “It was our third time in penalties this season, but it was the first time that all of our shooters were available.”

Dan Eberle, midfield, shot first and converted. He was followed by Armfield who rifled a shot into the back of the net.

Northwest also connected on their first two penalty kicks, the second just sneaking under Peterson.

After both team’s converted their third shots, Kyle Haller, midfield, hit his shot to put the Wildcats up, 4-3, in penalty kicks.

Northwest’s fourth shooter attempted to sneak his shot into the top of the goal but shot high and over the crossbar.

“After their miss, I knew it might come down to me,” Peterson said. “It was exciting but also nerve-wracking.”

Peterson was up for the Wildcats, shooting fifth with a chance to ice the game and give EHS a district championship. He hit the back of the net.

“It was an amazing feeling,” Peterson said. “It felt great to finally win.”

The winner of the game between Kirkwood and Vianney will take on the Wildcats in a sectionals game, Nov. 12.